Wednesday, October 31, 2012

October 31, 2012

I{HEART}ART: Inspiration: OWL


"Great Horned Owl" original painting on canvas by Tina C. Wells
Owls are all the rage. They are on dishes, pillows, in art, crafts, ornaments, etc. I have to admit, I’m a fan. Besides the obvious, that owls are beautiful, elusive birds, I have a sentimental attachment. Owls always nested in the trees on my grandmother’s property. In the front guest room, where I always stayed, I would hear the “WHOO-WHOO...WHOOOO” at night. I have always had an owl fascination, and finally decided to paint the Great Horned Owl. 

Owls are a little spooky too; they are carnivorous and nocturnal. More than once I have witnessed the owls keen hunting skills as he swoops down on unsuspecting prey that is carried off in his able talons. I was raised on the stories of the eye-plucking-owl on Mt. Helix that somehow mistook a teenage girl as his prey. You can fill in the blanks. It is Halloween after all...so be careful out there tonight if you hear a WHOOOOOing coming from the trees. 

Have a wicked Winsome Wednesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment