|"Winter Deer and Cardinal" original art by Tina C. Wells|
RECIPE: Clam Chowder!
My grandma (Namie, as we called her) taught me to make this delicious Clam Chowder. It is such comfort food on a cool winter night. Crusty, warm bread, salad...meal complete.
2-3 cups lowfat milk*
1/4 Cup + 2 TBS butter
1/4 Cup flour (slightly rounded)
1 large onion
3 medium potatoes
1 cups water
(2) 6.5 oz canned chopped clams in clam juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- Mince onion; brown in 2 TBS butter. Peel and cube potatoes (small bite sized cubes). Add potatoes, 1 cup water, salt and pepper to onions/butter and cook covered, medium heat, until tender (add a little more water, if needed, halfway through cooking). Check often and stir gently. Do NOT overcook potatoes.
- While potatoes and onions are cooking, melt 4 TBS butter and 4 TBS flour in large kettle on medium heat; slowly add 2 cups milk, stirring constantly. Thicken.
- Add onions and potatoes to milk mixture.
- Add clams and clam juice, and up to 1 cup milk, to mixture and heat through (for a thicker chowder, omit this last cup of milk).*
- Add 2 shakes of Tabasco (optional)