Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I{HEART}ART: Inspiration: WORDS

"Art of the Word" Original Art by Tina C. Wells

This painting was born out of a desire to live better in 2013. The words collaged on the background of the painting are inspirational to me. My brushes beckon me to to play in the paints, be creative. I hope 2013 will be filled with these words from the book of Romans, and that I will make time and space for new and expanding creativity. 

This piece is fairly large, 24"x 36". I have been experimenting with collage and mixed medium over the last few months. I have perfectionistic tendencies, and I wanted to pull back from these and keep this painting loose and a little messy. I have a way to go in this area, but it's a start. 

The process: I haphazardly painted the background in a limited palette of colors. I then printed out the writings I wanted to use in a variety of different fonts and sizes. The paper was then torn and wrinkled; I coated the back of the paper with Mod Podge (available at craft stores) and applied it to the canvas, adding more to the top, then brushed over the paper with thin coats of paint from my background colors. Last, I painted the brushes in the jar over the top. In some spots the words show through the brushes, and the wrinkles add texture. Best of all...it was really fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment